The School of Life Sciences at the University of Dundee is a world-class academic institution with a reputation for the excellence of its research, its high quality teaching and student experience, and the strong impact of its activities outside academia. With 900 staff from over 40 countries worldwide the School provides a dynamic, multi-national, collegiate and diverse environment with state-of-the-art laboratory, technology and teaching facilities.
We are recruiting for an exceptional individual to join us as a Teaching Support for the Taught Postgraduate Programme (MSc) within the Biological and Biomedical Sciences Education, D’Arcy Thompson Unit, School of Life Sciences to provide a high level of administrative support with responsibility to deliver an efficient and effective range of administrative support services for the degree programme.
Summary of Job Purpose and Principal Duties:
Key teaching tasks include:
- Annual update and publication of Student Handbooks and teaching timetables
- Record student information onto the University student records system (SITS)
- Administrate the School’s student absence to monitor unauthorised absences
- Administer the School’s module feedback for the Taught Postgraduate (MSc)
Key exam tasks include:
- Prepare Module Result Sheets to reflect the assessment structure and accurately record examination results
- Record marks/grades of module examinations using the School’s Quality Assurance process to validate all inputted marks into the School’s Module Result Sheets and import into the University student record system (SITS)
Key communication tasks include:
- Using the generic email system act as first point of call for all enquiries from Students and staff within the Taught Postgraduate (MSc)
- Disseminate information relevant to teaching and assessment to both students and staff
Key committee support includes:
- Coordinate meetings and any events for the School, identifying dates, booking venues, catering, preparation of agendas and relevant papers
- Support meetings when required taking accurate minutes and following up any actions deemed appropriate e.g. Staff Student Liaison Meetings, End of Semester Teaching Review Meetings
- Excellent written, verbal and secretarial skills
- Sound knowledge and experience of IT including a good working knowledge of Microsoft Office (including Excel, PowerPoint and Word)
- Ability to deal with people at all levels in a dynamic academic environment and approach problems with patience and sensitivity
- Enthusiastic, well organised and versatile individual with strong customer service focus and flexibility as a team member
- Excellent time management skills demonstrating ability to plan, prioritise and organise own workload
This is a permanent part-time position (29 hrs per week).
We are one of the UK’s leading universities – internationally recognised for our expertise across a range of disciplines and research breakthroughs in multiple areas, including science, medicine and engineering, amongst many others. Conveniently located on the banks of River Tay, our main city-centre campus is at the heart of Dundee - an up-and-coming, friendly, compact and affordable city with a rich heritage in design and technology. Just a short walk from the V&A Museum of Design Dundee, we’re close to both the train and bus stations. We also have campuses at Ninewells Hospital and in Kirkcaldy which are easily accessible via local transport links.
For further information about this position please contact Angie Nicoll, Operations Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org. To find out more about D’Arcy Thompson Unit please visit Studying | School of Life Sciences (dundee.ac.uk)
As an internationally diverse institution, we welcome job applicants from all countries and nationalities. The School of Life Sciences is proud to employ staff from over 40 different nations.
The diversity of our staff and students helps to make the University of Dundee a UK university of choice for undergraduate, postgraduate and distance learning. Family friendly policies, staff networks for BME, Disabled and LGBT staff, membership of Athena SWAN, the ECU Race Equality Charter and Stonewall as well a full range of disability services, create an enjoyable and inclusive place to work.
The Closing Date is 20th September 2021
For further information or to apply for this position please click here