Grade 6 (£26,243-£32,236) or Grade 7 (£32,236-£39,609)
Closing date 19th April 2019
The Drug Discovery Unit (DDU) (see http://www.drugdiscovery.dundee.ac.uk) is a fully integrated drug discovery operation that tackles small molecule projects to address unmet medical need. The DDU works in collaboration with world-leading, basic life sciences researchers and disease experts and brings industry medicinal chemistry and drug development to form exceptional collaborations.
At the core of our capabilities is a world-class data management infrastructure. We are seeking an innovative and driven Data Manager to manage and develop this key function.
The successful applicant will be part of the BioPharma experienced, multi-disciplinary DDU team and will report to the Data Management Team Leader who will oversee this activity.
Your responsibilities will include:
• Maintenance of key IT systems within the DDU using IDBS ActivityBase, the Dotmatics suite of tools and Pipeline Pilot (80%).
• Development of systems to support expansion of DDU capabilities (20%)
• Report to the Data Manager and interface with different scientists in the unit.
• Being a mediator between the DDU and the University of Dundee IT group
• Participate in the Data Management group effort to improve/maintain data quality from internal and external resources.
• Test/ validate/ deploy solutions along with the Data Manager to provide reliable and constant support to the DDU
Knowledge, qualifications, skills and experience:
• Knowledge of Python/Java/C++/R or any other coding language
• Knowledge of SQL and database management (Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL, etc)
• Experience of software testing and debugging
• Knowledge of database design and architecture
• Microsoft Excel literate and able to create VBA macros
• Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
• Strong computing technical skills
• Technical competence with IDBS ActivityBase, Dotmatics or Accelerys Pipeline Pilot is an essential skillset to perform at Grade 7. Appointment can be made at Grade 6 where significant external training will be provided
• Knowledge of disciplines aligned to drug discovery (chemistry/pharmacology etc) would be an advantage but is not essential
Appointment as a Data Manager on the Grade 7 salary scale (£32,236-£39,609) is dependent upon the your skillset. An appointment may be considered if training is required. The initial appointment will be made as a Data Technician on the Grade 6 salary scale (£26,243-£32,236).
We are one of the UK’s leading universities – internationally recognised for our expertise across a range of disciplines and research breakthroughs in multiple areas, including science, medicine and engineering, amongst many others. Conveniently located on the banks of River Tay, our main city-centre campus is at the heart of Dundee - an up-and-coming, friendly, compact and affordable city with a rich heritage in design and technology. Just a short walk from the V&A Museum of Design Dundee, we’re close to both the train and bus stations. We also have campuses at Ninewells Hospital and in Kirkcaldy which are easily accessible via local transport links.
The diversity of our staff and students helps to make the University of Dundee one of the top universities in the UK. Family friendly policies, staff support networks for BME and LGBT staff, membership of Athena SWAN and Stonewall, as well a full range of disability services, create an enjoyable and inclusive place to work.