We are looking for a highly motivated organic chemist with a PhD who has strong skills in synthetic organic chemistry. The appointee will work on the design and synthesis of a wide variety of chemical probes for use in chemical proteomics. The appointee will not be required to have a large knowledge of chemical biology, but will be expected to have a willingness to learn this field.
The appointee will work in modern well-equipped chemistry laboratories, in close proximity to
The post is available immediately until 31 August 2020. Salary will depend on experience, but will be between £32,236 - £39,609.
• Design compounds for synthesis using a variety of biological data.
• Prepare compounds using modern synthetic organic chemistry approaches.
• Develop new approaches for development of chemical probes
• Keep up to date with the appropriate scientific literature and develop new ideas and strategies for the work.
• Communicate with colleagues and collaborators from a wide range of scientific disciplines, to plan work and to report data back to the wider group.
• Candidates must be professionally qualified with a PhD in organic chemistry.
• Expertise in synthetic chemistry route design
• Significant experience in carrying out synthetic organic/ medicinal chemistry
• Strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills and able to interact with people from different scientific disciplines.
• Good time management, organizational and communication skills.
• A willingness to learn and understand the chemical biology and biology background to the project.
• A willingness to work flexibly to meet project milestones
• Knowledge of chemical biology
A few facts about The School of Life Sciences at Dundee:
• The School of Life Sciences has over 1000 research and support staff from around 60 countries and external funding in excess of £100 million in 2013
• Dundee has twice been named ‘the best place to work in Europe’ in a poll of scientists conducted by The Scientist magazine
Dundee, set on the east coast of Scotland, has a relatively low cost of living. It lies in an area of outstanding natural beauty, including large sandy beaches and challenging hills.
The diversity of our staff and students helps to make the University of Dundee one of the top universities in the UK. Family friendly policies, staff support networks for BME and LGBT staff, membership of Athena SWAN and Stonewall, as well a full range of disability services, create an enjoyable and inclusive place to work.