The School of Life Sciences at the University of Dundee is a world-class academic institution with a reputation for the excellence of its research, its high quality teaching and student experience, and the strong impact of its activities outside academia. With 900 staff from over 60 countries worldwide the School provides a dynamic, multi-national, collegiate and diverse environment with state-of-the-art laboratory, technology and teaching facilities.
The Drug Discovery Unit (DDU) and WCAIR are passionate about tackling unmet medical need for globally important neglected and emerging infectious diseases (including TB, malaria, Chagas disease, coronaviruses), that affect millions of people across the world every year and damage the economies of many low- and middle-income countries.
The DDU a fully integrated “Biotech style” drug discovery organisation with cutting edge facilities. We work to BioPharma philosophy and standards, incorporating dynamic, goal driven project management based on Target Product Profiles and Compound Selection Criteria. Our team of 120 scientists, has extensive experience within the BioPharma industry, giving us expertise in all aspects of drug discovery. Our rare skill set within an university setting enables us to work with world class Life Sciences research partners and major BioPharma and technology companies from across the world, to improve how high quality drug discovery is carried out for these diseases, to deliver and develop much needed safe and affordable drugs.
We are looking for a highly motivated laboratory assistant/analyst with a BSc in Chemistry or another related discipline. With the Analytical/Chemical Inventory Team you will be helping to maintain the analytical chemistry equipment, assist in acquiring data for compound analysis and support compound logistics to ensure compounds and reagents are handled, used and dispensed as efficiently as possible. This is a primarily a hands-on, laboratory-based role which will require first-rate organisational skills and an ability to perform as efficiently as possible.
Your priorities will include:
- Providing high quality sample analysis (NMR and HPLC/MS) in support of medicinal chemistry projects.
- Maintaining the day-to-day operation of NMR systems and submission of samples.
- Assist in the day-to-day operation of analytical/ preparative HPLC and LC-MS systems.
- Registration of new reagents as they are delivered to the DDU and distribution to relevant chemists when required.
- Managing maintenance of solid stocks of our compounds and weighing out samples when required.
Who we’re looking for:
- Evidence of a BSc in Chemistry or another related discipline
- Experience in the analysis of NMR data
- First-rate organisational skill
- Evidence of strong attention to detail skills
- Excellent computing technical skills, particularly use of Microsoft Excel
- An awareness of the workings of a chemistry laboratory
- Some knowledge of health and safety within a chemical laboratory
- An ability to solve problems using own initiative
- Very strong interpersonal, communication, and team working skills with a commitment to excellent customer service
- Self-motivated and able to demonstrate a willingness to go the extra mile to get the job done
- A readiness to work flexibly to meet role requirements
- Proven ability to work effectively as part of a small team
- Good time management and organisational skills.
- An ability to work effectively under pressure.
- Practical experience in HPLC.
- Basic knowledge of electrospray mass spectrometry coupled to liquid-chromatography systems.
- Some understanding and appreciation of the drug discovery process.
We are one of the UK’s leading universities – internationally recognised for our expertise across a range of disciplines and research breakthroughs in multiple areas, including science, medicine and engineering, amongst many others. Conveniently located on the banks of River Tay, our main city-centre campus is at the heart of Dundee - an up-and-coming, friendly, compact and affordable city with a rich heritage in design and technology. Just a short walk from the V&A Museum of Design Dundee, we’re close to both the train and bus stations. We also have campuses at Ninewells Hospital and in Kirkcaldy which are easily accessible via local transport links.
The position will be offered on a temporary basis for 6 months to cover maternity leave. The appointment will be made on the University's Grade 6 salary scale.
The Drug Discovery Unit operates on an external funding basis. The Principal Investigators within this unit are highly successful in securing external funding for their multi-disciplinary and highly collaborative research and activities.
We are one of the UK’s leading universities – internationally recognised for our expertise across a range of disciplines and research breakthroughs in multiple areas, including science, medicine and engineering, amongst many others. Conveniently located on the banks of River Tay, our main city-centre campus is at the heart of Dundee - an up-and-coming, friendly, compact and affordable city with a rich heritage in design and technology. Just a short walk from the V&A Museum of Design Dundee, we’re close to both the train and bus stations. We also have campuses at Ninewells Hospital and in Kirkcaldy which are easily accessible via local transport links. Read more about why Dundee is a great place to live and work, https://wcair.dundee.ac.uk/about-us/work-and-life-in-dundee/
The closing date for this vacancy is midnight on 12th May 2021.
For further information or to apply for this position click here
As an internationally diverse institution, we welcome job applicants from all countries and nationalities. The School of Life Sciences is proud to employ staff from over 40 different nations.
The diversity of our staff and students helps to make the University of Dundee a UK university of choice for undergraduate, postgraduate and distance learning. Family friendly policies, staff networks for BME, Disabled and LGBT staff, membership of Athena SWAN, the ECU Race Equality Charter and Stonewall as well as full range of disability services, create an enjoyable and inclusive place to work.