Research Technician position to support biochemistry work as part of a large program to develop new antifungal compounds in the laboratory of Professor Daan van Aalten FRSE.
Applications are invited for a research technician position to work in the laboratory of Daan van Aalten, where we take a multidisciplinary approach to characterise enzymes that contribute to the biosynthesis of the protective cell wall in human fungal pathogens and develop molecules towards novel antifungal agents. This position is funded by prestigious 5-year grants from the Wellcome Trust and Medical Research Council.
The successful applicant will provide critical services for the lab's research. After training, the Research Technician will perform a range of protein chemistry techniques, including purification, enzymology and screening to identify small molecule starting points for the development of inhibitors.
This position is available for 1 year at 50% part time in the first instance. Starting date March/April 2019.
- Familiarity with basic laboratory techniques such as enzyme assays and biophysical approaches
- Good manual dexterity and ability to perform delicate collection actions
- Capable of working in a team, but able to plan and work independently
- Excellent communication skills to coordinate with lab members
- Ability to follow specific protocols and verbal direction
- Mathematical ability as needed to accurately execute and modify recipes according to volume needed
- Good organizational and time management skills
- Willingness to assist and communicate with other team members of the laboratory
- A background in working in biochemistry lab
- Experience of working in a drug discovery environment
- Experience of recombinant protein expression and purification
For informal enquiries please contact Daan van Aalten (email@example.com). For details on the van Aalten lab please visit our website http://www.lifesci.dundee.ac.uk/people/daan-van-aalten.
The van Aalten lab is based in the School of Life Sciences and is an exciting and collaborative research environment, equipped to the highest international standards. The School of Life Sciences is in a beautiful location overlooking the estuary of the River Tay and embedded within the School of Life Sciences at the University of Dundee. This is one of the premier Life Sciences research centres in the world and was recently assessed as the top UK University for Life Sciences research in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF).
We are one of the UK’s leading universities – internationally recognised for our expertise across a range of disciplines and research breakthroughs in multiple areas, including science, medicine and engineering, amongst many others. Conveniently located on the banks of River Tay, our main city-centre campus is at the heart of Dundee - an up-and-coming, friendly, compact and affordable city with a rich heritage in design and technology. Just a short walk from the V&A Museum of Design Dundee, we’re close to both the train and bus stations. We also have campuses at Ninewells Hospital and in Kirkcaldy which are easily accessible via local transport links.
The diversity of our staff and students helps to make the University of Dundee one of the top universities in the UK. Family friendly policies, staff support networks for BME and LGBT staff, membership of Athena SWAN and Stonewall, as well a full range of disability services, create an enjoyable and inclusive place to work.