Applications are sought for Principal Investigators in the Division of Biological Chemistry and Drug Discovery, with strong research interests in biochemistry or molecular biology applied to infectious or orphan diseases; or computational chemistry applied to drug discovery. The successful applicant is expected to develop collaborations within the Division of Biological Chemistry and Drug Discovery and more widely within the College of Life Sciences and University of Dundee.
The College of Life Sciences is one of the premier Life Sciences departments in Europe. The Division of Biological Chemistry and Drug Discovery has wide ranging research interests, including bioinformatics and chemoinformatics, molecular parasitology, structural biology, computational chemistry, drug metabolism and pharmacokinetics, molecular pharmacology, medicinal chemistry and biological chemistry. The quality of the facilities and equipment throughout the School is exceptional.
The Division of Biological Chemistry and Drug Discovery places a strong emphasis on translational research and houses the Drug Discovery Unit (DDU), with all the capabilities for early stage drug discovery up to preclinical candidate stage. The main themes of the DDU are drug discovery for neglected diseases and novel targets and pathways.
We are interested in recruiting Principal Investigators at any level (Lecturer through to Professor). We welcome applications from candidates who have established an independent research group, have been successful in obtaining research funding and have a strong publication track record. Applicants will be expected to be competitive for personal fellowships and/or programme level grant support.
More information about the Division of Biological Chemistry and Drug Discovery and University of Dundee can be found in the following websites:
Division of Biological Chemistry and Drug Discovery (http://www.lifesci.dundee.ac.uk/research/bcdd)
Drug Discovery Unit (http://www.drugdiscovery.dundee.ac.uk/)
College of Life Sciences (http://www.lifesci.dundee.ac.uk/)
University of Dundee (http://www.dundee.ac.uk)
A few facts about The College of Life Sciences at Dundee:
• The College of Life Sciences at the University of Dundee is widely recognised as one of Europe’s most vibrant premier biomedical research institutes. Truly global in its reputation, the College of Life Sciences is home to a community of over 1,000 researchers and support staff from no fewer than 57 different countries.
• The University of Dundee ranks 1st in the UK and is one of the top 25 Universities in the world for Biological Sciences (by citations) according to the QS World University Rankings.
• Readers of The Scientist magazine voted the College of Life Sciences the best scientific institution in Europe in which to work in 2009, 2010 and 2011.
• According to independent analysis of citations per paper over the last 10 years by Thomson Reuters, Dundee is placed 1st among all European Universities in Pharmacology & Toxicology and Biology & Biochemistry and 3rd in Molecular Biology and Genetics.
• “This is one of the finest institutions in Britain where researchers routinely push back the boundaries of knowledge and teachers inspire their charges. The winners are the students lucky enough to study here.” Sunday Times University Guide, 2008
• Life Sciences teaching is rated EXCELLENT for all aspects of biological sciences. Scottish Higher Education Funding Council (SHEFC).
• The University of Dundee has been shortlisted for University of the Year in the Times Higher Education Awards 2011.
Dundee, set on the east coast of Scotland, lies in an area of outstanding natural beauty, including large sandy beaches and challenging hills. The environs of Dundee offer an inexpensive high-standard of living with excellent housing, schools and other amenities.
How to Apply:
To apply on-line please visit: www.dundee.ac.uk/jobs. If you are unable to apply on-line please contact Human Resources on (01382) 386209 (answering machine) for an application pack. Please quote reference number LS0110. Closing Date: 30 November 2011.
The University of Dundee is committed to equal opportunities and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
The University of Dundee is a Scottish Registered Charity, No. SC015096.