Summary of Job Purpose and Principal Duties
These medicinal chemistry posts will be primarily laboratory-based and will focus on hit validation and hits to lead chemistry. The appointees will be involved in the design and synthesis of lead compounds demonstrating appropriate pharmaceutical properties and efficacy in models of disease.
The successful applicants will be part of a BioPharma experienced multi-disciplinary team in the DDU. The post is available immediately for six months and salary will depend on experience, but will be up to an annual equivalent of £30,870 on the Grade 7 Salary Scale.
Summary of Skills, Experience and Qualifications
Knowledge, qualifications, skills and experience:
• Candidates must be professionally qualified with a PhD in synthetic organic or medicinal chemistry or a degree in chemistry
• Experience and background in Biotech, CRO or Pharma industry is essential
• Good time management, organisational and communication skills are required.
College / School / Directorate Information
The Drug Discovery Unit (DDU) (see http://www.drugdiscovery.dundee.ac.uk) is a fully integrated drug discovery operation based within a world class Life Sciences research environment. Its remit is to complement BioPharma activities by tackling both neglected diseases (sleeping sickness, leishmaniasis and malaria) and early stage small molecule validation of novel targets and mechanisms across a range of potential therapeutics areas. The project goals range from quality leads demonstrating disease model proof of concept, through to pre-clinical candidates.
A few facts about The College of Life Sciences at Dundee:
• The College of Life Sciences has over 900 research and support staff from 59 countries and external funding in excess of £40 million per year.
• Dundee has twice been named ‘the best place to work in Europe’ in a poll of scientists conducted by The Scientist magazine.
• The College of Life Sciences has been consistently rated ‘5-star’ (the highest rating) by the UK national Research Assessment Exercise.
Dundee, set on the east coast of Scotland, lies in an area of outstanding natural beauty, including large sandy beaches and challenging hills.
How to Apply
To apply on-line please visit: www.dundee.ac.uk/jobs. If you are unable to apply on-line please contact Human Resources on (01382) 386209 (answering machine) for an application pack. Please quote reference number LS0097.
The University of Dundee is committed to equal opportunities and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
The University of Dundee is a Scottish Registered Charity, No. SC015096.