Setting our sights on infectious diseases
A WCAIR conference on innovative drug discovery and development
12-15 May 2019
Dalhousie Building, University of Dundee, UK
The Wellcome Centre for Anti-Infectives Research (WCAIR) invites you to join us in Dundee from 12-15 May 2019. The aim of the conference is to harness cross-disciplinary and cross-disease learning to accelerate drug discovery and reduce drug candidate attrition rates for infectious diseases affecting low and middle income countries. Conference attendees will take home new ideas and technologies which have been demonstrated to work; applying them to diseases where challenges to drug discovery are hampering progress.
Watch Prof Ian Gilbert, Professor of Medicinal Chemistry, introduce the conference.
We are pleased to announce that our previously confirmed speakers
will be joined by
- Sir Patrick Vallance, FRS, Government Chief Scientific Adviser (GCSA) and Head of the Government Science and Engineering (GSE) profession
- Professor William Hope, University of Liverpool
- Dr Jacquin Niles , Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Professor Rolf Muller, HelmHoltz Institute
- Dr Srinivasa Rao, Novartis Institute for Tropical Diseases
- Dr Manjunatha Ujjini, Novartis Institute for Tropical Diseases
- Professor Frederick S. Buckner, University of Washington
Thank you to everyone who submitted abstracts for short-talks and posters. It was a difficult job choosing the short-talk speakers from the many high-quality abstracts we received. You can look forward to hearing from
- Elena Moshynets , Institute of Molecular Biology and Genetics of NAS of Ukraine
- Caitlin Taylor, University of Cape Town
- Richard K. Amewu, University of Ghana
Topics to be discussed at the conference include:
- Clinical development and connectivity to the preclinical situation
- Combination therapy
- Modern approaches to PK/PD studies
- Development of clinical relevant screening cascades and assays
- Early phase Drug Discovery- working smarter and faster
The draft programme can be downloaded from the righthand sidebar. For the latest conference information follow @WCAIRDundee #SOSID2019 .
Social events will include a welcome reception at the School of Life Sciences on Sunday evening; Dinner at Discovery Point with the opportunity to visit the RRS Discovery; a reception at Dundee's newest landmark, the V&A Dundee, with the opportunity to network while viewing the latest exhibition - Videogames: Design/Play/Disrupt .
The deadline to submit abstracts for the poster sessions and short talks has now passed. Posters will be set up in the Dalhousie Foyer and level 1 gallery where the breaks and lunch will be hosted to ensure maximum time for interactions at the posters.
Thank you to RXNet for helping to publicise the conference