The School of Life Sciences at the University of Dundee is a world-class academic institution with a reputation for the excellence of its research, its high-quality teaching and student experience, and the strong impact of its activities outside academia. With 900 staff from over 40 countries worldwide the School provides a dynamic, multi-national, collegiate and diverse environment with state-of-the-art laboratory, technology and teaching facilities.
We are recruiting for an exceptional individual to join us as a Grade 2 Laboratory Technical Assistant within the School of Life Sciences. The candidate will join the Laboratory Management Team primarily assisting cleaning of laboratory spaces and specialist areas including Containment Level 2 and 3 Tissue Culture Facilities and also maintaining cleanliness in both shared kitchens and offices across the School. All task and duties must be completed once an area is made safe, working under the supervision, following clear standard operating practice required when working in general life sciences laboratories and Tissue Culture Facilities.
The position is full-time, 36.25 hours per week but there is also the opportunity to job share.
Your priorities will include:
- Under supervision, ensure the maintenance and cleanliness of laboratories, communal spaces including benching, shelving, and laboratory sinks to ensure that students and staff can work efficiently and safely.
- Removal of waste and recycling.
- Cleaning shared kitchen spaces including microwave ovens.
- Cleaning office and writing room spaces as required.
Who we’re looking for:
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions required when undertaking routine cleaning duties.
- Ability to understand Risk Assessments and follow standard operating procedures in relation to the role.
- Ability to manage and organise required cleaning materials and equipment.
- Experience in the safe use of electrical equipment/ floor cleaning equipment.
- Competent in the physical use of cleaning machinery e.g. floor scrubbers/buffers.
- Prior training in manual handling.
- Ability to communicate effectively with other people within the working environment.
- Proven ability to work as part of team and supporting others.
- Following clear guidelines, have good organisational skills with ability to plan and prioritise own standard workload as requested by the Line Manager.
- Have basic IT skills and competent in receiving and sending emails.
- Prior experience as a technical assistant working in an academic research laboratory environment with hazardous chemicals.
We are one of the UK’s leading universities – internationally recognised for our expertise across a range of disciplines and research breakthroughs in multiple areas, including science, medicine and engineering, amongst many others. Conveniently located on the banks of River Tay, our main city-centre campus is at the heart of Dundee - an up-and-coming, friendly, compact and affordable city with a rich heritage in design and technology. Just a short walk from the V&A Museum of Design Dundee, we’re close to both the train and bus stations. We also have campuses at Ninewells Hospital and in Kirkcaldy which are easily accessible via local transport links.
As an internationally diverse institution, we welcome job applicants from all countries and nationalities. The School of Life Sciences is proud to employ staff from over 40 different nations.
The diversity of our staff and students helps to make the University of Dundee a UK university of choice for undergraduate, postgraduate and distance learning. Family friendly policies, staff networks for BME, Disabled and LGBT staff, membership of Athena SWAN, the ECU Race Equality Charter and Stonewall as well a full range of disability services, create an enjoyable and inclusive place to work.
The Closing Date is 29th September 2021
For further information or to apply for this position please click here