The School of Life Sciences at the University of Dundee enjoys a reputation as one of the most dynamic international centres for molecular cell biology, with an average research income of £45M per annum and nearly 900 staff from over 60 countries worldwide, with outstanding laboratory and technology facilities.
We are recruiting for an enthusiastic and exceptional individual to join us in the role as a Research and Technology Support Administrator within the School of Life Sciences. The primary focus of this post is to provide astute business and financial support for the operation of our advanced Scientific Facilities. The post holder will also be expected to provide high-level administrative support for other School activities such as postgraduate research courses, Athena Swan and Research Integrity and will report to the Research Support and Development Officer.
You will be required to take a proactive approach and will be expected to deliver on a range of activities. You will contribute to the smooth operation of the School of Life Sciences and help identify new opportunities to further our research strategy. This is an exciting opportunity to join a dynamic and agile team supporting the UK’s leading University for biological research.
Your priorities will include:
• To act as the lead to provide high-level business and financial support for the operation of our Scientific Facilities – includes interpretation of often new and complex information. Make recommendations and present executive summaries to School Executive Group
• Work collaboratively with School Accountant, Research Support and Development Officer, and Research Finance, to maximise the recovery of core costs on research awards for access to Scientific Facilities, aligned to University and Funder policies and procedures
• Identifying and maintaining reporting output to manage tracking of cost recovery, in particular, salary recovery through externally funded sources. Managing and reviewing facility staff funding profiles.
• Contribute to review of service provision and costing models, including participation in Advisory Steering Groups as appropriate through provision of high level administrative support. Summarise complex information and using self-initiative and problem-solving skills present solutions for multifaceted problems.
• Working in partnership with Academic leads, Research and Innovation Services and External Relations to raise the profile of the Scientific Facilities, with a focus on growing external and unregulated income.
• Provision of support in the implementation of Athena Swan action plans and Research Integrity Strategies.
Who we’re looking for:
• An individual educated to degree level in a Bioscience discipline, numerate or related discipline with a minimum of 3 years’ management experience in a demanding role
• A good grasp of fundamental science and key technologies.
• Self-motivated able to work efficiently, both independently and as part of a team, to form effective working relationships, both within the School and the wider University
• Ability to think strategically with a high intellectual calibre
• Excellent written, verbal and numerical skills with experience of interpreting and communicating financial data
• Excellent IT skills with proven ability in the use of Excel.
We are one of the UK’s leading universities – internationally recognised for our expertise across a range of disciplines and research breakthroughs in multiple areas, including science, medicine and engineering, amongst many others. Conveniently located on the banks of River Tay, our main city-centre campus is at the heart of Dundee - an up-and-coming, friendly, compact and affordable city with a rich heritage in design and technology. Just a short walk from the V&A Museum of Design Dundee, we’re close to both the train and bus stations. We also have campuses at Ninewells Hospital and in Kirkcaldy which are easily accessible via local transport links.
For further information about this position please see attached job description. Contact Dr. Louise Stanley at email@example.com with any further queries or questions. For more information about the School of Life Sciences please visit www.lifesci.dundee.ac.uk.
The diversity of our staff and students helps to make the University of Dundee one of the top universities in the UK. Family friendly policies, staff support networks for BME and LGBT staff, membership of Athena SWAN and Stonewall, as well a full range of disability services, create an enjoyable and inclusive place to work.