The BCDD Protein Production Team (PPT) are dedicated to the production of quality protein for translational research. Our main customer is the Drug Discovery Unit Drug Discovery Unit (DDU) (see http://www.drugdiscovery.dundee.ac.uk) which is a fully integrated drug discovery operation based within a world class Life Sciences research environment. Its remit is to complement BioPharma activities by tackling both neglected diseases (trypanosomiasis, leishmaniasis and malaria) and early stage small molecule validation of novel targets & mechanisms across a range of potential therapeutic areas.
- Experience of Tissue Culture is essential (Baculovirus and Mammalian for protein expression)
- Maintaining a Tissue Culture Facility, working stocks and frozen cell stocks (LN2).
- Experience of changing Gas cylinders(O2, Air, CO2)
- Experience in the growth of E.coli in shake flasks is essential
- Experience of purifying proteins in a variety of expression systems (E.coli, Baculovirus and mammalian) is an advantage but training will be given.
- Experience of performing simple Molecular Biology tasks (minipreps, restriction digests, sequencing) would be an advantage, although training will be given.
- Maintaining our plasmid stocks and backing up stocks(Excel).
- Maintaining and cleaning of general laboratory equipment to a high standard.
- Monitoring, ordering and organizing general laboratory consumables and buffers(Excel)
- To seek and maintain high working standards(GLP) in both laboratory and paperwork is essential
- Provide prompt and accurate communication with customers is essential
- Provide high quality and signed off reports to customers when required.
- Working collaboratively with members of the Drug Discovery Unit and academic or industrial collaborators to support protein production.
- Use of AKTA purification systems would be an advantage, though training will be given.
- Experience of the use of Bioreactors would be an advantage (Fermenters, Appliflex).
- A first degree in biochemistry, or equivalent experience.
- An ability to be proactive, productive and to work effectively in teams is required.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills.
- Computer literacy (Word, Excel and Powerpoint) Training will be given on specific software(UNICORN, BioRAD imager, CLC Workbench).
- A demonstrated ability to work in an organised and meticulous manner and to standard operating procedures and GLP is essential.
The position is available for 12 months, the anticipated period of maternity leave.
For informal enquires please contact Sharon Shepherd (Operations Manager Protein Production) firstname.lastname@example.org
We are one of the UK’s leading universities – internationally recognised for our expertise across a range of disciplines and research breakthroughs in multiple areas, including science, medicine and engineering, amongst many others. Conveniently located on the banks of River Tay, our main city-centre campus is at the heart of Dundee - an up-and-coming, friendly, compact and affordable city with a rich heritage in design and technology. Just a short walk from the V&A Museum of Design Dundee, we’re close to both the train and bus stations. We also have campuses at Ninewells Hospital and in Kirkcaldy which are easily accessible via local transport links.
The diversity of our staff and students helps to make the University of Dundee a UK university of choice for undergraduate, postgraduate and distance learning. Family friendly policies, staff networks for BME, Disabled and LGBT staff, membership of Athena SWAN, the ECU Race Equality Charter and Stonewall as well a full range of disability services, create an enjoyable and inclusive place to work.