The University of Dundee is going through a highly ambitious and exciting programme of transformation, with IT at the forefront. The goal being to create One IT; an outstanding IT provision that values people, excellence and integrity, and which will allow the University to become Scotland’s leading university.
We are recruiting for an exceptional individual to join us as a full-time, permanent Research Computing Specialist, working with the University’s research storage, compute and application server systems. You will join the Research Computing team within the Infrastructure, Security and Research Computing unit of the UoD IT professional service. The Research Computing team provides state-of-the-art computing services to meet the needs of world-leading research.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a highly skilled and specialist team providing a supportive environment to develop your own skills and enhance your career. You will have access and continued exposure to new and advanced technologies within a team with a track record for progress.
Your priorities will include:
• Deploying services using a wide range of technical skills including:
o Windows Server
o Linux server
o Virtualisation hypervisors
o IBM Spectrum Scale (aka GPFS) parallel filesystem
o IBM Spectrum Protect (aka TSM) backup and archive
o Univa Grid Engine workload batch job scheduler
o Docker, Singularity, Anaconda, etc application container runtimes and distribution platforms, etc
• Ensuring service delivery and quality of allocated work
• Close partnership and liaison with researchers to maintain fitness of purpose of computing services to research workflows and to identify new service opportunities for existing or new research workflows where appropriate
• Create appropriate technical documentation to the required standards and drive appropriate knowledge management
Who we’re looking for:
• You’ll have a genuine passion for computing and an appetite for staying at the forefront of the latest enterprise technologies
• You’ll have a keen attention to detail and an inherent commitment to providing excellent service user experience
• You’ll have highly developed interpersonal and communication skills, able to interact effectively with anyone, both within and out with the University
• You’ll have strong experience with enterprise servers, storage and software, ideally in a HPC or similar research or academic environment
• You’ll have a degree in Computer Science or a similar subject, or equivalent professional experience
The diversity of our staff and students helps to make the University of Dundee one of the top universities in the UK. Family friendly policies, staff support networks for BME and LGBT staff, membership of Athena Swan and Stonewall, as well a full range of disability services, create an enjoyable and inclusive place to work.