The Drug Discovery Unit (DDU) at the University of Dundee is looking for a motivated, proactive and experienced organic chemist, with hands on expertise and a track-record of delivery in flow chemistry.
The DDU is working to discover and facilitate the development of new drugs for major diseases, e.g. malaria, TB, cancer, neurodegeneration. The successful candidate will focus on developing the Drug Discovery Unit’s (DDU) use of flow chemistry to support our drug discovery programmes, through development of new chemistry and scale up of final products and intermediates. The post will be within the DDU (www.drugdiscovery.dundee.ac.uk/), which is part of the Wellcome Centre for Anti-Infectives Research (WCAIR). WCAIR is housed in a state-of-the-art building and has cutting-edge equipment and automation for anti-infectives research. The successful applicant will join a dynamic and multidisciplinary group that covers all aspects of drug discovery up to candidate selection.
The successful candidate will carry out laboratory chemistry using our existing flow chemistry equipment and help to develop of our capabilities in this area, including equipment purchase. You will work closely with synthetic organic, medicinal and analytical chemists across a range of projects. You will be responsible for advancing an internal culture of scientific excellence and identifying emerging trends in the field.
The post is available immediately until 31st March 2022.
The starting salary for this post will be within Grade 7 (£32,236 – £39,609) depending on the experience of the candidate. A relocation allowance is available.
• Development and implementation of flow chemistry and continuous processing technologies within the DDU
• Identification and selection of equipment to support flow chemistry
• Design and optimisation of robust, sustainable processes to scale up intermediates and final compounds, and synthesis of compound libraries.
• Discovery and validation of synthetic methods that are amenable to flow chemistry
• Optimisation of flow methodology for purity and delivery time
• Timely delivery of pure, characterised compounds and/or compound collections
• Maintenance of flow chemistry systems
• Integration of these activities with the DDU’s automated purification capabilities
• Dissemination of the use of flow chemistry to the wider DDU medicinal chemistry group.
• Experience of working on multi-step batch synthetic routes towards flow chemistry intermediates.
You must be committed to establishing yourself as the flow chemistry expert within the DDU and must be enthusiastic about mentoring those new to the field.
Skills and Knowledge
• Ph.D. in chemistry or equivalent experience in organic synthesis
• Demonstrable experience of flow chemistry, ideally in the scale up of compounds and multistep synthesis of compound libraries.
• Demonstrated track-record of expertise and delivery in the field of flow chemistry
• Demonstrated expertise in organic chemistry principles
• Maintenance of a strong external network in the academic community
• A willingness to work flexibly to meet milestones
• Good time management and organisational skills
• Strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
• Familiarity with high-throughput purification equipment
• General IT skills
• Familiarity with programming and lab automation
• Experience working at >5g in batch
A few facts about The School of Life Sciences at Dundee:
• The School of Life Sciences has over 900 research and support staff from 59 countries and external funding in excess of £40 million per year
• Dundee has twice been named ‘the best place to work in Europe’ in a poll of scientists conducted by The Scientist magazine
• The University of Dundee achieved the highest aggregate rating in Biology among all UK Universities in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF) assessment.
Dundee, set on the east coast of Scotland, lies in an area of outstanding natural beauty, including large sandy beaches and challenging hills.
The diversity of our staff and students helps to make the University of Dundee one of the top universities in the UK. Family friendly policies, staff support networks for BME and LGBT staff, membership of Athena SWAN and Stonewall, as well as a full range of disability services, create an enjoyable and inclusive place to work.