We are looking for an enthusiastic and motivated scientist to operationally manage and develop the protein production facility. The successful candidate will work with the Principal Investigators within the Division of Biological Chemistry and Drug Discovery (BCDD) to ensure that high quality protein is delivered in a timely and cost-effective manner and to develop protein expression strategies appropriate for biophysical, biochemical and crystallographic study.
1. A track record of producing and purifying proteins using E coli, baculovirus and Pichia systems
2. Strong molecular biology skills and expertise
3. Experience in operational management of small teams of scientists
4. Strong problem solving skills with a history of developing innovative solutions
5. Strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
• A biological science degree with relevant protein production and purification expertise
• Experience in operational management of small teams of scientists
• Experience of working with equipment vendors to communicate requirements and resolve support calls
• Experience of working in a multi-disciplinary scientific team
• Experience of using molecular biology expertise to improve protein production and purifications
• Strong problem solving skills with a history of developing innovative solutions
• Strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
• Knowledge of the drug discovery process is highly desired but not essential
The Division of Biological Chemistry and Drug Discovery sits within the College of Life Sciences at the Univeristy of Dundee. The overarching theme of the Division is "the discovery of chemical solutions to biological problems" through excellence in basic and applied multidisciplinary research. Discovery, characterization and validation of drug targets in neglected diseases such as trypanosomiasis, leishmaniasis, malaria, tuberculosis and bacterial pathogens represents around half of our research focus. Knowledge gained from these fundamental studies forms the foundation for translation into novel drug-like leads through a combination of high throughput screening, structure based design and medicinal chemistry.
Our other major focus is on discovery and characterization of chemical tools to accelerate highly novel primary biology and to provide the starting points for drug discovery projects in neglected diseases of the developed world including Huntington’s Disease and genetic diseases. To meet these challenges in basic and translational research, members of the Division include specialists in bioinformatics, enzymology, molecular biology, glycobiology, in vitro and in vivo pharmacology and synthetic organic and medicinal chemistry.
The Division is building a core protein production and purification facility. The intent is to build on existing capabilities to develop a world-class facility using bacterial, yeast and insect cells.
How to Apply:
To apply on-line click here. If you are unable to apply on-line please contact Human Resources on (01382) 386209 (answering machine) for an application pack. Please quote reference number LS0263. Closing Date: 15 January 2013.
The University of Dundee is committed to equal opportunities and welcomes applications from all sections of the community. The University of Dundee is a Scottish Registered Charity, No. SC015096.