To apply for this programme please use our central HR system (please do not use the "apply now" button above). Deadline for applications 30th Oct 2015.
QuantExBio (Quantitative and Experimental Biology) is a research programme co-funded by the European Union and is designed to support Early Stage Researchers (ESR) in advancing their research career by working towards a PhD, which will be awarded by the University of Dundee (UoD). Research projects offered in this programme are unbounded by traditional research silos, with subjects ranging from cancer and developmental biology to crop growth all unified under a modelling and quantitative sciences approach. In addition, all of the projects are collaborative co-supervised by an experimental ‘biologist’ working in the area of cell and molecular biology and a ‘quantitative’ scientist working in the area of physics, mathematics or computer science. In addition to existing generic skills and research training, Doctoral Fellows (DFs) will participate in QuantExBio workshops, seminar events and research exchange visits (secondments)
There are 10 positions are available on this 3.5-year research programme and awards will be made on a competitive basis. Appointments will commence on this programme on the 1st October 2016. Full details of projects available can be found here.
Key elements of the programme consist of:
- Quantitative/Modelling and experimental interdisciplinary research projects advised by internationally renowned scientists in Dundee
- Participation in induction programme, monthly seminar series and interdisciplinary workshops
- Interactions and networking opportunities with leading scientists from across the EU through a flexible schedule of secondment opportunities to leading industrial and academic organisations.
- Structured training and mentoring programme. Specific events include training workshops and two programme specific research symposia in the first and final years of study
These positions attract a fixed salary payment of £27, 200 per annum.
Due to this project being part of a Marie Sklodowska-Curie Action (MSCA), clear eligibility rules apply and more information can be found here. To apply to this programme please follow this link and follow the instructions provided. You will be asked to submit a CV along with the following documentation to be uploaded as a single attachment:
- University Degree Certificate
- University transcript/mark sheet (in English) of your degree curriculum
- An English Language proficiency certificate (IELTS, TOEFL, CPE, IGCSE) where required
- A covering letter describing your motivation and rationale for pursuing a QuantExBio fellowship (in the context of your top 3 project choices)
Please note deadlines for receipt of applications is set as the XXXth Nov 2015 and interviews are likely to be held in Dundee the second week of January 2015.
Any queries can be sent to Quantexbio@dundee.ac.uk