The recruitment programme for these studentships (commencing September 2016) is now closed as all postiions for 2016 have now been filled. The next round of recruitment will begin November/December 2016.
The University of Dundee hosts a 4-year MRC PhD Doctoral Training Programme (DTP) in Quantitative and Interdisciplinary approaches to biomedical science (QIBIOMED). The programme is structured to maximise effective guidance and mentoring, in addition to providing a basis for optimally matching students' interests with cutting edge research.
The key elements of the programme consist of:
- 4 week introductory course delivering intensive training in tissue culture, molecular biology, proteomics, cell imaging, flow cytometry
- Superseminars by potential supervisors of the programme
- 3 x ~3 months mentored rotation projects
- Ph.D. projects in laboratories run by internationally renowned scientists
- Structured training and mentoring programme covering computational biology, mathematical biology and statistics
- Competitive stipend of £16,000 per annum, tuition fees, laptop, contribution to travel and conference costs
This programme will focus on exceptional strengths in four key areas:
- Infection and Disease
- Responses to Cellular Stress
- Development, Stem Cells and Neurobiology
- Big Data and Translation
Professional development of our students is an integral part of the programme and is supported through generic skills workshops at the University of Dundee. These workshops are designed to equip postgraduates with an appropriate range of professional scientific skills. All postgraduates also have access to optional additional training such as “Personal Effectiveness and Career Development”, “Finance, Business and Marketing” and “Project Management and Statistics” through Organisation and Professional Development (OPD) Dundee. The depth and breadth of this programme allows the participant to tailor the training to their own specific requirements.
All research fellows will present their work regularly, including at annual school and cohort-based retreats.
This innovative and streamlined programme offers young students a choice of well-supervised, high quality quantitative and interdisciplinary science projects at the forefront of international science.