University of Dundee

Car ownership

In the UK, if you own a car it must be registered with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). Cars are registered to the individual.

You are required, by law, to insure your vehicle. The cost of insurance is dependent on both the value of your car and your driving history (number of years driving, "no claims" bonuses, convictions). It is advisable to bring proof of any overseas "no claims" discounts with you. Insurance can be:

  • third party / third party, fire and theft
  • fully comprehensive

If your car is over 3 years old, it will require an annual MOT. You are also required to purchase vehicle tax and display a current tax disc on the windscreen of your car. Tax discs can be purchased annually or biannually either online, or from larger branches of the Post Office (locally, these are Perth Road and Meadowside). The price varies on the engine size of your car (it's lower for smaller, more environmentally-friendly cars). To purchase vehicle tax, you must have:

  • a valid insurance certificate
  • a valid MOT certificate (see below)

Any vehicle older than three years must also pass an annual MOT (Ministry of Transport) test. This is to ensure that it complies with at least the minimum road safety and environmental standards and does not imply that it is in good working order. MOTs can be performed at most garages.