Dr Nick Brewer FRSB FHEA MRSC
I run two activities on Saturday mornings as part of the Royal Society of Edinburgh Science Masterclass.
I am a Reader in Biophysical Chemistry and the University Academic Lead for the International College Dundee (ICD). I am also the Programme Lead for the Associate/ Foundation/Widening access Programmes and the University Lead for FE College Articulation.
I’m Yorkshire born and bred, originally from Halifax in West Yorkshire. I studied Chemistry at The University of Leeds for my undergraduate degree and the University of Manchester for my PhD in Physical Chemistry. My specialism is Physical and Inorganic Chemistry as applied to Biology. I have an interest in Thermodynamics and Chemical/Enzyme Kinetics.
I am extremely passionate about lab work, especially project work, I am keen to engage and encourage students from day 1 to design experiments and improve their practical skills.
Before I came to the University of Dundee, I taught at Bradford College, my experience at Bradford was amazing, I taught students from non-traditional backgrounds and the majority of these students to begin with were low in confidence but as the weeks and months progressed began to develop into confident, capable scientists. I believe passionately that as many people in our society should have the opportunity to come to University.
- Chemistry and Physics as applied to Biology
- Design, Delivery and Assessment of Laboratory Based Practical Classes, Workshops, Tutorials and lectures.
- BS11001 Biomolecules
- BS11003 Lab and Research Skills 1A (Level 1 Semester 1)
- BS11004 Lab and Research Skills 1B (Level 1 Semester 1)
- BS11005 Numeracy, Chemistry and Physics for the Biological+Biomedical Sciences (Level 1 Semester 1)
- BS11006 Physics for the Life Sciences Workshops (Level 1 Semester 1)
- BS12003 Lab and Research Skills 1C (Level 1 Semester 2)
- BS12004 Lab and Research Skills 1D (Level 1 Semester 2)
- BS12006 Chemistry for the Life Sciences Workshops (Level 1 Semester 2)
- BS12008 Introduction to Scientific Enterprise (Level 1 Semester 2)
- BS21003 Lab and Research Skills 2A (Level 2 Semester 1)
- BS21004 Lab and Research Skills 2A (Level 2 Semester 1)
- BS22003 Lab and Research Skills 2C (Level 2 Semester 2)
- BS31003 Molecular Structure and Interactions (Level 3 Semester 1)
- MBChB Year 1 Student Selected Component (SSC) project supervisor
D'Arcy Thompson Unit Divisional Representative for the Division of Molecular Microbiology.
- BSc Chemistry with Analytical Chemistry from Leeds University
- MSc in Petrochemicals and Hydrocarbon Chemistry from Manchester University
- PhD in Physical Chemistry from Manchester University
- Previously a Lecturer at Bradford College in Chemistry, Physics and Maths
Awards and affiliations
- Member of the Royal Society of Biology
- Member of the Royal Society of Chemistry
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy