Dr Joost Zomerdijk
Appropriately coordinated expression of genes is essential for normal cell growth, development and differentiation in all organisms. The control of expression of many genes in eukaryotes occurs at the level of transcription. The central objective in our laboratory is to achieve an understanding of the molecular mechanisms involved in transcription of the ribosomal RNA genes, mediated by RNA polymerase I, and the cellular control of this process. rRNA synthesis drives ribosome biogenesis and, therefore, is associated intricately with cell growth and proliferation. Deregulation of this process can lead to cell death, hyperproliferation or hypertrophy and has been linked to specific cancers and heart disease.
Our research is directed towards determination of:
- the role of the essential promoter selective TBP-TAF complex SL1 in coordinating the formation of transcription pre-initiation complexes
- the molecular mechanism of activation by UBF of promoter escape by Pol I
- the dynamics of the Pol I proteome
- the link between cell growth and proliferation and Pol I transcription
- the factors involved in promoting transcription elongation and re-initiation
- the roles of novel growth-regulated and Pol I-associated factors in human cells
- Course manager for Undergraduate Level 3 in Gene Regulation and Expression (BS31006), including 4 workshops
(Numeracy and Data Interpretation assessments) and 4 lectures (from Aug 2015).
- Course manager for Undergraduate Level 4 in Advanced Gene Regulation and Expression (BS42010), including 3
lectures/tutorial sessions and 1 workshop and 1 essay assessment.
- Oversight and contributor to Level 2 undergraduate course Genes and the Cell (BS21002), including 9 lectures and 1
workshop (from Aug 2015).
- Academic lead on Undergraduate Level 3 Molecular Biochemistry Practical (BS32011)
- Supervision of Senior Honours Project students
- Member of a PhD thesis committee monitoring progress of graduate student
Ray, S., Panova, T., Miller, G., Volkov, A., Porter, A.C.G., Russell, J., Panov, K.I. and Zomerdijk, J.C.B.M. (2013) Topoisomerase IIα promotes activation of RNA polymerase I transcription by facilitating pre-initiation complex formation. Nature Commun. 4, 1598-1609. view paper
Zomerdijk, J. (2013) Structural biology: Pivotal findings for a transcription machine Nature EPub doi:10.1038/nature12700 View Paper
Naidu, S., Friedrich, J.K., Russell, J. and Zomerdijk, J.C.B.M. (2011) TAF1B is a TFIIB-like component of the basal transcription machinery for RNA Polymerase I. Science 333:1640-1642. PMID: 21921199 View Paper
Birch, J.L., Tan, B.C., Panov, K.I., Panova, T.B., Andersen, J.S., Owen-Hughes, T.A., Russell, J., Lee, S.C. and Zomerdijk, J.C. (2009) FACT facilitates chromatin transcription by RNA polymerases I and III. EMBO J. 28(7):854-65. PMID: 19214185 View Paper
Gorski, J.J., Pathak, S., Panov, K., Kasciukovic, T., Panova, T., Russell, J. and Zomerdijk, J.C.B.M. (2007) A novel TBP-associated factor of SL1 functions in RNA polymerase I transcription. EMBO J. 26:1560-1568. PMID: 17318177 View Paper
Panov, K.I., Friedrich, J.K., Russell, J. and Zomerdijk, J.C. (2006) UBF activates RNA polymerase I transcription by stimulating promoter escape.EMBO J. 25:3310-3322. PMID: 16858408 View Paper
Panov, K.I., Panova, T.B., Gadal, O., Nishiyama, K., Saito, T., Russell, J. and Zomerdijk, J.C. (2006) RNA polymerase I-specific subunit CAST/hPAF49 has a role in the activation of transcription by upstream binding factor. Mol Cell Biol. 26:5436-5448. PMID: 16809778 View Paper
Friedrich, J.K., Panov, K.I., Cabart, P., Russell, J. and Zomerdijk, J.C.B.M. (2005). TBP-TAF complex SL1 directs RNA Polymerase I PIC formation and stabilises UBF at the rDNA promoter. J Biol Chem, 280: 29551-29558. view paper
Russell, J. and Zomerdijk, J.C. (2005) RNA-polymerase-I-directed rDNA transcription, life and works. Trends Biochem Sci. 30:87-96. PMID: 15691654 View Paper
Miller, G., Panov, K.I., Friedrich, J.K., Trinkle-Mulcahy, L., Lamond, A.I., and Zomerdijk, J.C.B.M. (2001) hRRN3 is essential in the SL1 mediated recruitment of RNA Polymerase I to rRNA gene promoters. EMBO J. 20, 1373-1382. view paper